Charles Bridge
Prague • Czech Republic

From: Prague Travel Guide

See also: Old Town HallOld Town SquareAstronomical Clock Prague


Charles Bridge, Prague, Czech Republic
Charles Bridge (Karluv Most) is one of the most important bridges in Prague linking Old Town with Lesser Town and was for many hundreds of years the only connection across the river.

Charles Bridge was built in 1357 by King Charles IV and spans the river Vltava, measuring around 516 meters in length and 10 meters in width, sitting on 16 beautiful arches. At first the bridge was very plain with no statues upon it, but in 1683 a statue of the martyr St John of Nepomuk was placed on the bridge and after that many other statues quickly followed, now leaving around 30 positioned along the bridge; amongst the statues are that of St John the Baptist, St Francis of Assisi accompanied by two angels, and St Cajetan.

The bridge these days is a very popular place to visit and often has several stalls and painters along it as well as providing wonderful views of the river Vltava. There are plenty of cafes in the area where you can relax and get refreshment and the popular Kampa Park restaurant is situated on the West bank of the river next to Charles Bridge.

Attraction Location Guide
Charles Bridge is located between Lesser Town and Old Town and is around 2 kilometers from Prague Castle.


Footer