Chapora Fort
Goa, India

From: India Travel Guide Mumbai, Goa and The West Coast

See also: Kerala and The South Coast


Chapora Fort, Goa, India
Chapora Fort was Originally built by Adil Shah in order to protect against Hindu raiders who wanted Goa as there territory.

With its commanding position next to the Arabian Sea on one side and the Chapora River on the other combined with excellent views in all directions the fort became a much sought after structure and has a colorful history, whereby it was destroyed and then subsequently rebuilt by the Portuguese in around 1617 when Goa came under there control.

The fort stands dominating the surrounding area and offers spectacular views of Vagator Beach, Chapora Beach and Anjuna Beach. Chapora Beach is well known for its coconut palms and beauty, and the area is well known for its excellent fishing community, as well as for its restaurants.

The fort has long since been abandoned but the ruins are still impressive and show where the fort walls used to be along with several Muslim headstones.

Location Guide
The fort is situated around 12 kilometers from Mapusa, Goa, India.


Footer