Cape Adare
Antarctica

From: Antarctica Travel Guide

See also: Antarctica Cruises

 


Cape Adare, Antarctica
Cape Adare was first discovered by Captain Ross and was named after a friend of his named Viscount Adare.

The Cape is an important historic site, containing the huts that Borchgrevink built during the 1895 expedition and is another site protected by the Antarctic Heritage Trust.

The hut was prefabricated and although very small in size compared to the one that Scott used it was well equipped and would of housed all 10 members of Borchgrevink's party.

The area surrounding Cape Adare is spectacular with Antarctic mountains in the background, the Ross Ice Shelf not far away and a vast breeding ground for a colony of Adelie Penguins, which can be seen in large numbers both surrounding the hut and on nearby areas as well, providing some superb photographic opportunities.


Footer